Tips for Reducing Common Spring Allergens
Allergens are harmless substances that cause some of our immune systems to overreact. Symptoms of allergic reactions range from uncomfortable (runny nose) to deadly (anaphylaxis). Wherever your symptoms fall on the scale, allergies are no fun. But you can follow these simple tips to control the following allergens around your home.
You may find the thought of tiny creatures living in your bedding and furniture creepy. But if you suffer from allergies, your body’s reaction to them is even worse. Not to worry. You can reduce the number of dust mites in your home.
• Wash your sheets in hot water.
• Use a laundry additive that kills mites.
• Put allergy-reducing cases over your pillows and mattresses.
• Steam clean textiles like carpets and fabric-covered furniture.
House dust is everywhere and almost impossible to get rid of. But allergy sufferers can clean a lot of it up with a few simple steps.
• Clean frequently with microfiber or electro-static cloths.
• Bag or box up out-of-season clothes.
• Reduce the number of hard-to-wash items, like pillows and stuffed animals, in your home.
• Use a vacuum with a HEPA filter.
Musty smells may come with runny noses and/or difficulty breathing. Make the following efforts to reduce mold.
• Keep wet areas, like bathrooms and basements, well-ventilated.
• Keep your home’s humidity level at 35-50 percent.
• Clean bathrooms, refrigerators, and garbage cans regularly.
• Quickly and completely remove spills from floors and carpets.
If springtime allergies get you down, it’s a simple task to reduce your symptoms. Just follow these tips for keeping dust mites, house dust, and mold at bay. Happy spring!