5 Posts
2 Users
3 Likes
Admin
Admin
Topic starter
(@admin)
Reputable Member

Watch this video, one of a series featuring the mesmerising Mr Chickadee, him and his steady but skilled workflow. He, wordless, {blue}:nonoise: works through the process of cement-free construction using Japanese timber-frame techniques. These 'Boulder-On-Gravel foundations are impressive, as is the burning and sealing of the timbers. To give a name to this style of building I would possibly go for, 'Idyllic Construction'. What would you call it?

Please wait for video to load.

https://youtu.be/xPf-y6DzwMQ

{black}:hi:

4 Replies
1 Reply
(@jay-c-white-cloud)

Posted by: @admin

Watch this video, one of a series featuring the mesmerising Mr Chickadee, him and his steady but skilled workflow. He, wordless, {blue}:nonoise: works through the process of cement-free construction using Japanese timber-frame techniques. These 'Boulder-On-Gravel foundations are impressive, as is the burning and sealing of the timbers. To give a name to this style of building I would possibly go for, 'Idyllic Construction'. What would you call it?

Please wait for video to load.

https://youtu.be/xPf-y6DzwMQ

{black}:hi:

HEY MIKE...!!!!...Blessings from accross the "Big Pond" for sharing Mr. Chickadee's (aka: Josh's) video here!!! I didn't even know this group existed till today and I so excited to find it and join!

Should you or any member here have questions about this natural and traditional foundation system, please ask. I have been using and teaching these "post to plinth" foundations modalities for over 40 years now and simply have never found a better, least expensive, faster and more pragmatic foundation system to compare it to. Many are "as good" but none surpass it for ease of use and breadth of application in most architectural formats even outside of Asian. Almost ever "wood culture" of the world from Africa and the Middle East to Europe and the Americas have similar systems for resting a house, barn or related structure on...but?...it seems today most have lost contact with these skill sets...

When Josh asked about this system of foundation just after his first house project almost a decade ago now, he soon realized there pragmatic logic...

I look forward to being of whatever service I can to the group and will be building several more of these in the coming years...including a few with thatched roofs I will do from scratch most likely in Southern Iowa...

Thanks again for sharing the video! 😀 !

Admin
Admin
Topic starter
(@admin)
Reputable Member

Thanks for your input @jay-c-white-cloud and welcome aboard.

Foundations seem to get little enough attention in relation to their importance. The default setting for most is to pour tons of concrete and forget about it. Hopefully we can expand the 'repertoire of feet' {blue}:smile: for buildings.

1 Reply
(@jay-c-white-cloud)

@admin...It is so sad 😔 Mike but true...!!!...foundations of buildings, the most important aspect before the roof, and modern builders relegate it to a material that is not only killing the planet but is a pale comparison in value, strength, and durability to stone...

I have now been designing and working for 40 plus years. Nary a one of my projects sit on anything but stone, and most often "post and plinth" systems...or something else natural and traditional...and most certainly better than modern concretes!!!

Thanks so much for the welcome and I look forward to becoming a valued member...

Blessings,
j

Admin
Admin
Topic starter
(@admin)
Reputable Member

Please feel free to to share your work here @jay-c-white-cloud. It is great to have such an experienced head join the forum. Looking forward to great conversations and more.

The Old Farmhouse at FortyAcres

Holiday Accommodation and Short Breaks in Daingean, County Offaly, Ireland. Cycling. Kayaking. Self-Catering.
Recent Posts
Online Members

No online members at the moment

FREE Membership

Join the Thatch Finder Forum and Talk about Roof Thatching

Membership Options

Talk about Thatching
Discover More

The Old Farmhouse at FortyAcres

Holiday Accommodation and Short Breaks in Daingean, County Offaly, Ireland. Cycling. Kayaking. Self-Catering.